Google Pay rolled out the support for credit cards RuPay on UPI in May 2023. The rollout was done by collaborating with the National Payments Association of India. This facility allows RuPay cardholders to pay online or offline for transactions everywhere GooglePay or RuPay credit cards can be used.
The Process to Add Your RuPay Credit Card to Google Pay
By using this feature, Google Pay customers will have additional choices and options when making payments. Users must use the service to connect to their RuPay credit or debit card with Google Pay. Here’s how to accomplish it.
- Make sure to change the settings on the settings section of your Google Play app first.
- Select the “RuPay credit card on UPI” option within your profile.
- The bank that provided your RuPay credit card must be chosen.
- Create a unique UPI PIN by entering the last six digits of the card as well as your expiry date.
- You must provide the OTP to authenticate your account.
What is Rupay?
RuPay is a local card payment network that is based in India. It was launched through the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI); RuPay aims to offer a different payment option to international card schemes, such as Visa and Mastercard. It’s designed to provide safe, affordable, and easily accessible payment solutions to Indian customers.
Key Features of RuPay
- Card Variants RuPay offers Card Variants RuPay provides a range of card types such as debit cards, credit cards for prepaid use, and contactless cards that cater to the different demands for payment of both businesses.
- Domestic Payment Network RuPay RuPay focuses on transactions conducted in India. It offers an alternative to international card schemes such as Visa and Mastercard, providing a locally-made payment option for Indian customers.
- Wide acceptance RuPay cards can be used across various retailers in India, including ATMs, point of sale (POS) terminals, e-commerce websites, and mobile payment platforms. RuPay cards can also be used to make international transactions through participating networks.
- Cost-effective RuPay is cost-effective. RuPay intends to provide affordable payment options by delivering lower transaction costs for merchants and banks than other international credit card programs. This initiative aims to increase the inclusion of financial services and make electronic payments easier for all segments of society.
- Secure transactions RuPay – RuPay guarantees secure transactions using sophisticated security measures, such as EMV chip and pin, 2-factor security, and real-time fraud monitoring.
- Rewards and Benefits Rewards and Benefits RuPay cards typically include particular rewards and benefits that offer cardholders cashback, discounts, and other promotions. They are intended to increase the card’s use and customer engagement.
- Government initiatives – RuPay is associated with numerous government initiatives that aim to promote digital payment and financial inclusion within India. For instance, RuPay has been integrated with schemes such as Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana, RuPay Kisan Card, and Bharat QR, to name a few.
- International acceptance The International Acceptance RuPay has also diversified its reach globally. RuPay has partnered with global payment providers to allow using RuPay credit cards at certain ATMs and merchants worldwide.
RuPay has been gaining significant popularity in India, particularly among those who previously were not served or had limited access to traditional payment and banking services. Because of its widespread acceptance, accessibility, and focus on domestic demands, RuPay plays an essential part in developing the payment ecosystem in India.