Loans for Gold are loans secured in which the borrower pledges his gold items as security to receive the loan. The lender then will charge an interest rate, and after you have returned the full amount of the loan, the lender will return your Gold that was used as a security. The interest rate for gold loans ranges between 7.35 percent to 29 % per year. The loan amount ranges from 15,000 to Rs. 1500 to Rs. 5 crores.
Important Highlights for Gold Loans
- Secured Loans Gold loans are unsecured loans that use a gold item as security.
- Rates of interest Gold loan interest rates can range between 7.35 percent to 29% per year.
- The amount of the loan – The gold loan amount ranges between Rs.1500 and up to Rs.5 crores.
- Repayment time – The period of repayment can vary from 7 days up to 240 months.
- Minimum documentationIn the majority of cases, no income or credit score is required. Gold loans are approved according to the worth of Gold that is pledged to be security.
- The ratio of LTV The ratio of loan to value of gold-backed loans has been set at 75% by RBI at 75 percent. This means you could obtain a loan that is 75 percent of the worth of the Gold you pledged.
- Usability Gold loans can serve a wide range of reasons without restrictions.
- Time to process Gold loans are processed extremely quickly as there is no documentation needed.
What are the main factors that affect the rates of interest on loans made in Gold? Let’s look.
Factors Affecting Gold Loan Interest Rates
Before approval of a gold-backed loan, the lenders examine a variety of factors that decide on the rate of interest. They want to ensure that the decision to lend their capital is safe.
Below are a few of the main factors that affect the rate of gold loans –
- The Income The income level is among the most crucial factors an investor will look at when deciding to approve a gold loan. They are more confident in the ability of your loan to pay back in the event that your income is high, and therefore, they will offer a lower rate of interest. However, more down payments will be able to attract more interest. It is possible to say that the income level and rates of interest are both inversely proportional.
- Market price of Gold – The current prices of Gold are also a factor in determining the interest rates that a lender is willing to pay. In general, the amount of the loan is usually 60-70 percent of the worth of the gold item that is used as security. If the rates for Gold are high, the value of the piece will also increase, and the risk for the lender decreases. The lender will be more comfortable extending a low-interest rate. In the event that gold prices fall, the chance for the lender increases, and rates of interest will increase.
- Principal loan amount The rate of interest depends on the amount used as a loan, or that is the principal amount. The greater the principal amount and the less you pay, the lower your interest rate will be. This is due to the fact that the lender owns the highest-value loan item, which is pledged as security, and they can offer a lower interest rate.
- External Benchmark Lending RatesWhen, an institution like the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) alters its rates or policies that affect gold loans, the interest rates will also change. The gold loan rates could be tied to a lending rate externally, that could be repo rates or the 10-year Treasury bond rate. They affect the interest rate of gold loans in addition, which is directly related.
- Credit Score Score credit is among the most crucial factors that are that lenders consider when they approve any loan. The better your credit score, the more likely you will get a favorable interest rate. The lower your credit score, the more expensive the rates of interest will become. It is recommended to look into all possibilities available to you and then apply for a loan.
Eligibility Conditions for a Gold Loan
- Age- 21-70 years
- Employment Status – Salaried, Self-employed, Business people, Farmers, etc.
Documentation Needed to Apply for a Gold Loan
- Identity proof: Aadhaar card or passport License, Driver’s License, Voter ID card
- Address document Documentation of address Aadhaar card, Passport driving license, voter ID cards, letter issued by National Population Register
Do’s and Don’ts While Applying for a Gold Loan
What do you need to do?
- Verify whether your Gold is pure. Check the purity of your gold. Lenders generally prefer Gold that weighs 18 carats or higher in righteousness. Make sure you know the quality of your Gold prior to purchasing it to avoid being disappointed and committing fraud later.
- Select a reliable lender. Since an investment in Gold is a loan secured by collateral, the lender you select should be a reputable person. You’ll want to return your Gold when you’ve paid off the loan, and the lender shouldn’t be a fraudster, or else you’ll lose your Gold and, consequently, a large amount of money.
- Explore all loan options available. Each lender will provide a different rate of interest according to their perception of the applicant’s background and the value of the gold article. Choose the one that suits you most.
What shouldn’t you do?
- Get a gold loan only when you need it. Gold loans are simple to obtain as you require a gold piece as collateral. But, it would be best if you determined whether you are really in need of the loan since you’ll be required to pay interest on the amount you borrowed.
- Don’t take an unsecured loan to support addictive behavior. Some people are willing to make pledges of Gold to take out loans for gambling or gambling. They lose lots of money that they shouldn’t. It’s not just about losing your precious metal; you also have to pay back the loan taken out as the result of a gold loan.
- Determine the amount of money you receive. The maximum amount set for you by RBI for the loan-to-value ratio is 75 percent of the gold piece committed. If you decide to take out an investment in Gold, it is important to determine whether this will be enough to meet your needs.
Gold loans are a simple and fast method of getting the loan you need if you own something gold that you wish to pledge. It is essential to research offers from reliable lenders and select the best one. The gold loan for a range of reasons. Make sure you pay your bills promptly to avoid late fees. Be aware that you could be unable to collect your money if you cannot deliver your costs, so make sure you are evaluating them accordingly.